The past week I’ve noticed a new thought pattern emerging while I’m in the shower, at the bus stop or at the dinner table. Goals. Milestones. Resolutions. January 1, 2014, just a few weeks away. Like a traveler at the trailhead of a new journey, I find myself making quiet preparations. Rations, goods, emotional check-ins. Do you find yourself doing the same?
Today I realize I’m getting way ahead of myself. Before jumping into plans for the New Year, I need to pay my respects to 2013. So it’s time to pull out the binoculars and see the big picture of how far I’ve come – the triumphs, the challenges, the surprises and the shifts. This global view will be my fuel for the journey ahead – it will be my super magic nutrient-packed trail mix. And I’m going to fill it with just the right mix of chocolate.
Here’s my recipe for supercharging the triumphs of 2013 into a jetpack for the new year. Try it out and tell me what you think.
Nuts are the foundation of your rocket fuel. Fatty and delicious. So, how do you define success? This is the standard by which you will measure the past year. For you, does success mean:
- Making rent for 12 months in a row
- Sticking to an exercise routine
- Spending quality time with people you love
- Raising your rate
- Signing new clients
- Increasing profits
- Traveling to new places
- Getting published
- Hiring new staff
- Writing a chapter, editing a piece, finishing a song, or just making time to try
Make a mental note or jot it down. Now it’s time to add some jazz to that mix of almonds and brazil nuts.
Dried cranberries, mango, raisins and pineapple make trail mix what it is. It’s the tang. The sweet n sour. The kick. Fill up your trail mix with a little moment of appreciation for yourself and all the things you kicked ass at this year. Ask yourself:
- Where was I dedicated?
- Where was I patient?
- Where was I challenged?
- Where was I afraid?
- Where was I brave?
- What did I let go of?
- Where was I uncertain?
- Where was I wise?
- Where was I generous?
Choose your most delicious fruits and throw em in the pack.
The Wild Card
We all love something obscure in our trail mix - wasabe beans, coconut flakes, honey-drenched sunflower seeds or whatever pleases you. Think back over your last year and find the wild cards.
- What were you pleasantly surprised by?
- What unexpected connection did you make?
- What relationship turned out to be highly rewarding?
- What did you learn about yourself?
Scour the bin for your wild cards and throw 'em in.
Trail mix without chocolate is just boring. It’s the reward, it’s what we’re really digging for among all those peanuts and raisins. It’s the reason we eat trail mix at all. Right? So ask yourself:
- Who did I help this year?
- How was I of service to my community?
- How did I invest in myself this year?
- How did I take care of myself?
- What evidence did I leave behind?
- How am I different than I was on January 1, 2013?
- What new skills, experience, connections, resources and portfolio do I have now that I didn’t have one year ago?
That’s the good stuff - that’s the nourishment that will get you through the next 12 months. Cuz chocolate makes everything better.
The Journey Ahead
Once you’ve taken a minute to marinate in the goodness of everything you put out this year, you’ll have a good hearty (and delicious) fuel pack for moving into 2014. Your New Years Resolutions might even be a little bit brighter.